For the first time ever, my Christmas tree was down and put away on December 27th. Had it not been for my girls, I wouldn’t have put up a tree or lights at all.
It’s been a rough year.
Gran finished her race in April. Her loss has probably been the hardest for me to ever deal with, and even now, 8 months later, the pain is still palpable. I’m sure the holidays have a great deal to do with the fact that I hurt to my core. But even my girls are feeling the heartache of missing someone.
We seriously considered finding another church. That’s not really blog fodder and I’m not going to go into much detail at all. But I’m noting it here because it’s a pretty significant thing to think, pray and talk about. This year, things have felt off, and I’m not sure it’s where we’re supposed to be, but we haven’t really been given direction or confirmation of where else to go, so we’re staying put for now.
In November, I got some surprising news and a new diagnosis. Nothing life-threatening or anything like that, but I’m not going to be writing about it until after I see a specialist in January. I will know more then and will have to let it marinate before talking about it, online or otherwise.
For most of this holiday season (from Thanksgiving to now), I keep replaying scenes from “You’ve Got Mail” in my mind. I can really relate to Kathleen Kelly (Meg Ryan’s character). Especially the scene where she talks about her store closing, and her mother…. when she’s talking about the Joni Mitchell song that goes, “I wish I had a river/ that I could skate away on.” I can really empathize with what she’s saying in that scene, and I think it’s a great example of how I’ve felt this season.
So, needless to say, I’m really looking forward to a new year and a new start.
Usually, I don’t get too excited about New Year’s. I’m terrible at resolutions. I’ve known for years that I need to lose weight and exercise more, so let’s just assume that one, shall we? 🙂
Instead of a list of resolutions, I’d like to share some things I’d like to do this year. In no particular order, these are some things I’d like to do, see, or learn in 2012:
- Learn how to make really great chicken and dumplings.
- Learn how to play piano.
- Renovate our kitchen.
- Go on a family vacation. Hopefully to a beach.
- Plant and raise a garden. (Please help me, God! I have a black thumb!)
- Learn how to can.
- Go strawberry picking with my girls and Mom.
- Learn how to make bread from scratch.
- Drink more water.
- Replace the carpet in our Living Room, Dining Room, “Formal” Living Room and hallway with either a floating hardwood or a good laminate.
- (Perhaps) Go back to work full-time.
- (Perhaps) Go back to school for my Master’s degree.
- Buy either a Dyson or a Roomba.
- Get the house organized (once and for all).
- Learn how to make my Aunt JoAnn’s peanut butter fudge.
- Learn how to make my Ma-maw’s cole slaw.
- Replace the damaged wood over the garage door. Hopefully, this includes installing some sort of siding.
- Plant an azalea bush in the front of the house.
- Replace the wood planks in the flower beds with stones.
- Plant hostas beside the house.
- Make the Pioneer Woman’s Cinnamon Rolls.
- Put myself on the priority list.
There are more things I could think of, but that’ll do for now.
What about you? Do you have any goals for 2012? Please share them here!