>1. Eggnog or Hot Chocolate? Hot Chocolate! I’ve never been an eggnog fan. Bleh.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Wraps.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? White. I’ve always preferred white for my house. But this year, I had the urge to get colored lights… but then didn’t want to pay for completely redoing all the lights for the house. After Christmas sales, maybe?
4. Do you hang mistletoe? I used to. Just found what the (fake) mistletoe I used to hang… I might put it up this year.
5. When do you put your decorations up? Usually the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish? Anything that my Mom, Grandmas or Aunts make. Most notably, mom’s corn pudding (kind of like a cornbread), or the ham my grandma makes.
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? I have several, but one that really sticks out is the Christmas my cousin and I got dollhouses that Papaw made. He made everything himself and it even had wallpaper and carpet inside. I’m hoping to restore it for my girls, but I’m waiting until the little one gets out of her “color on the walls” phase.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I don’t remember how, exactly, but I was young… Kindergarten, I think. First grade at the latest. My best friend told me I’d get coal because I said there was no Santa. I wasn’t trying to be mean, but rather informative.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? We have always celebrated at my Mamaw & Papaw’s house on Christmas Eve. We would then celebrate at my other grandma’s house and our house on Christmas Day. Now that I’m grown, married and a Mommy, we have LOTS of houses to visit… it makes Christmas busy.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Our tree is decorated with nativity themed or angel ornaments. I feel like the focus should be on Jesus. That said, I also LOVE snowmen. I have enough ornaments to decorate a (small) tree with just snowmen. Also, I get the girls a special ornament each year, so I could probably do a (small) tree with just those and any they may make in school.
11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? LOVE it.
12. Can you ice skate? I can, but not well. No twirls or anything fancy, but I can get myself around the rink.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? From #7 above, the dollhouse my grandfather made. Now that he’s gone, I adore everything he ever made or gave me.
14. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Focusing on Jesus and trying to teach my daughters the real meaning of Christmas. I also think it’s important to reach out to help those who might be struggling. Family and Friends.
15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Anything chocolate. There’s a dessert my grandma calls “Pete’s Cake” but I’ve also heard other people call it “Baskin Robbins Pie.” Oh goodness! I also enjoy all the different Christmas cookies… seven layer bars.. this one dessert that basically sandwiches a cream cheese mixture between chocolate chip cookies. I like sweets WAY too much!
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Being with family. Reading the Christmas story on Christmas Eve. Our Christmas service and communion at church. Dressing my girls alike and taking their pictures. Baking cookies. Giving cookies to people.
17. What tops your tree? An angel.
18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? I looooooooove finding the “perfect” gift for someone and wrapping it up so nicely. But in all honesty, I like getting gifts, too.
19. Candy Canes: Yuck or Yum? Not yuck, but not totally yum. When I’m in the mood, I guess.
20. Favorite Christmas Show? Charlie Brown Christmas and any of the claymation kids movies. It just doesn’t feel like Christmas without them. (I like Miracle on 34th Street, too, but love the new one… especially when Santa tells the deaf girl that she is beautiful in sign language). Polar Express is becoming a fav.
21. Saddest Christmas Song? I’ll Be Home for Christmas. The thought of not being home for Christmas breaks my heart. When I was a little girl, “The Little Drummer Boy” used to make me cry. I always felt bad for the drummer boy.
22. What is your favorite Christmas Song? It’s hard to narrow it down to a few. I love, love, LOVE Christmas songs! My top favs are, in order:
O Holy Night – Particularly John Berry or Nat “King” Cole’s versions. I cry nearly every time I hear it.
Mary Did You Know?
Do You Hear What I Hear?
Joy to the World
Beautiful Star of Bethlehem
O Little Town of Bethlehem
“Secular” (for lack of better words)
Sleigh Ride – Pops Orchestra Version
Carol of the Bells
The Christmas Song – Nat “King” Cole
White Christmas – Bing Crosby
The Most Wonderful Time of the Year
Holly Jolly Christmas – Burl Ives
When My Heart Finds Christmas – Harry Connick, Jr.
The Gift – Aslin Debison – Makes me cry nearly every time I hear it.